One of Hawaii’s culinary specialties is the “Huli Huli Chicken-“. This is the barbecue baked chicken with a marinade which is brown with Hawaii cane sugar component, sweet soy sauce, and fresh ginger. Hawaii is known for its sugar cane plantations, this sauce is typical to prepare chicken. “Huli” in Hawaiian, means return in one direction, then another.
You can also prepare the skewers in the oven if this is not the barbecue season!
Ingredients (for 12 people)
– 3 chicken breasts
– 3 cloves of garlic
– A ginger piece (the equivalent of a finger)
– 120 g of pineapple (1/2 cup)
– 130 g thick soy sauce (shoyu) (1/2 cup)
– 50 g of brown cane sugar from Hawaii (or brown sugar) (1/4 cup)
– 60 g of ketchup (1/4 cup)
– 30 ml of rice vinegar (1/8 cup)
– 1 tablespoon sesame oil
– 1 teaspoon red curry paste
– The two limes juice
– 1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
– Hawaiian salt
Peel and chop the garlic and ginger
Peel the raw pineapple
Mix the flesh of the pineapple to get a nice puree
Prepare the marinade by mixing all the ingredients together
Cut the chicken into pieces and stick it on skewers
Leave for 30 mins
Place chicken on the grill and baste regularly sauce
Turn upside-down every 5 minutes. It usually takes 30 minutes to cook. Alternatively, you can cook the skewers for 35 minutes at 180 °.
Hawaiian chicken skewers with rice coconut
- Recipe type: Flat
- Number of units: 4 shares
- Preparation time: 20 minutes
- Cooking time: 15 minutes
- Ready in 35 minutes
- Difficulty: Easy
Ingredients for kebabs
2 pounds chicken breast boneless and skinless
20 oz pineapple pieces (me fresh pineapple)
Ingredients for the skewers marinade
3 c. in soy sauce
2 c. sherry table
1 c. sesame oil table
3 c. brown sugar table
1/4 c. with ground ginger (I chopped fresh ginger)
1/4 c. teaspoon garlic salt (Me 2 large cloves garlic, minced)
Ingredients for the sauce skewers
2/3 cup pineapple juice
1/4 cup white vinegar
2 c. in soy sauce
1 c. vegetable oil table (I omitted)
1/2 cup white sugar (I 1 tsp. Brown sugar)
1 c. all purpose flour table (I thickened with velveteen)
Ingredients for rice
1 1/2 cup uncooked white rice (me 3 cups instant rice Uncle Ben)
1 cup coconut milk (I 1 1/2 cups)
1/4 cup white sugar (I omitted)
1/2 lime, juice only (me a file)
1 c. Tea olive oil
1 cup chopped fresh cilantro
1/3 cup chopped green onions
1 1/2 cup water (me chicken broth)
1) Cut chicken into 1-inch cubes.
2) In a bowl, mix all ingredients of the skewers marinade. Add the chicken, cover and marinate in the refrigerator for 4 hours.
3) Preheat oven to 400 ° F. Create 4 skewers, alternating chicken and pineapple on sticks of wood previously soaked in water.
4) Bake for about 30 minutes.
5) Meanwhile, combine rice, coconut milk, water, and sugar in a machine
To cook rice: Transfer cooked rice in a bowl and mix with remaining ingredients for rice.
6) In a saucepan, whisk all kebab sauce ingredients.
Reheat; stir, until the sauce thickens. Remove from heat.
7) Serve chicken skewers on a Hawaiian coconut rice bed with a small bowl of sauce for dipping.